Saturday, August 22, 2009

Yep, it's still awesome!

Scuba pictures!
Turtle
I found Nemo in Thailand too!
Cuttlefish blending in
Eel!
Octopus
Since my last blog I've been enjoying the sunshine, eating awesome Thai food and went diving. Our trusty Lonely Planet said that since its monsoon season the visibility for diving might not be too good, but its so cheap to dive here ($75 for 2 1-hour dives compared to $200 in Australia for 2 25-minute dives) so I figured why not.

We went diving yesterday morning to Bida Nok and Table Coral City. The water was so warm and the visibility was great for the first dive, and just ok for the 2nd. We saw so much stuff, and a lot of different things than we saw on the Great Barrier Reef. I really wanted to see an octopus and what do you know, a few minutes into our first dive I saw something move out of the corner of my eye. It was an octopus landing on a rock and immediately blending in. I swam fast to grab our instructor's fin and show it to him. He made it move so everyone else could see it (it seriously looked like a rock!) and it was SO cool. After that we saw a cuttlefish, which is like a mix between a squid and octopus and it changed from brown speckley to clear in a milisecond. Also saw a sea snake, eel and 2 hawksbill turtles. It was awesome. I could dive everyday and never get tired of it. They almost talked me into getting my certification but who knows when I'll be near a good diving spot. I have some credit card debt to pay off first....

But Thailand isn't adding to that debt, being as cheap as it is! Bottled water costs 15 cents, a meal costs about $1.50 and I just got a haircut for $12! It's raining right now (the first and only flaw I've found of Thailand so far) so I'm trying to upload some scuba pictures.

Oh last night we went to a bar that was playing Bruno (an illegal copy of course - they have them for sale all over and I may or may not have bought some...shhh) and per Thailand custom we took our shoes off before entering the store. Well after the movie when we went to leave my shoes were nowhere in sight. A Thai lady working at the bar was trying to tell us that a guy took them but she knows him and he was maybe coming back. Anyway, after about 10 minutes he came back with my shoes and Sarah gave him a mouthful. Apparently he borrowed them because someone took his so he ran home to get another pair, then was returning mine. Seriously dude? Don't take people's shoes...that's just weird.

I can't believe I come home in 10 days! On one hand 6 months has flown by but on the other it seems like forever ago that we were in New Zealand. Either way its been an awesome trip!

No comments: